Whether it’s in your personal or professional life, relationships are at the center. As humans, we’re wired to be in community with each other, and it’s no different along the entrepreneurial journey. This is why it’s so important to nurture relationships. Keeping an outward focus on others is how legacies are made. It’s how we make a positive impact that lives beyond us.
So, let’s connect more with one another using these tips.
Invest your time.
The first way, and certainly one of the most important ways, to nurture relationships is to invest your time into them. We all know that time is precious and one of our most valuable resources, so when we spend time with someone, it makes a huge impact.
Ways to invest your time:
- Call them on the phone.
- Meet them for lunch or coffee.
- Be a listening ear for them.
- Go out of your way to make them feel seen.
Be a resource.
Adding value to someone’s life is a great way to show them how much THEY are valued. And one way to add value is to be a resource. You have access to a wealth of information! You also have value within you in the form of experience, knowledge, and wisdom. And as they say: Sharing is caring!
Ways to be a resource:
- Send them an article or podcast that you think they’d benefit from.
- Lend them a book.
- Share your wisdom or experiences with them.
- Be a connector. People are resources as well! If you know two people who can help each other out, connect them with one another!
Nurturing relationships will always include being a light in others’ lives. The best part is that encouraging your friends, family, and professional relationships doesn’t take a whole lot of effort. It only takes being intentional.
Ways to encourage them:
- Send them a spontaneous text with an encouraging message.
- Celebrate with them when they meet goals or have a big win!
- Encourage them with your words. “I’m proud of you” goes a long way.
- Smile! A simple way to say, “I’m so glad you’re here.”
We’ve all heard something along the lines of, “Relationships are built on trust,” and for good reason. By building trust in a relationship, you’ll form friendships and business partnerships with a strong foundation.
Ways to be trustworthy:
- Keep the commitments you’ve made.
- Do what you say you’re going to do. Even if it’s not concerning them … people are watching.
- Give honest feedback when asked.
- Be vulnerable and share your mistakes.
- Apologize when necessary.
Be an example.
Lastly, nurture relationships by being an example through how you live your life. Your actions matter, and just by living a life of integrity, love, and light, you’ll find your relationships blossoming.
Ways to be an example:
- Be a bright light in the room!
- Stay positive and have an attitude of gratitude.
- Always pursue personal growth.
- Be a life-long learner.
- Keep chasing your dreams.
Nurture relationships with a genuine heart.
When it comes down to relationships, nothing beats a genuine heart. People will recognize it and gravitate toward it. And the relationships in your life will be a joy!
Just like learning how to nurture relationships genuinely, so many bits of wisdom were handed down to us from our parents, which we continue to hold on to today. We wrote a blog about it here, “Wisdom from the Greatest Generation.” Check it out!